Re: help wanted! get involved! make Debian-women work!

on Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:56:48PM -0400, Erinn Clark insinuated:
> * Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2004:07:09 15:48 -0400]:
> > on Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:54:41AM -0700, Carla Schroder insinuated:
> > > Technical stuff:
> > >  - Scripts, howtos, cool commands- anytime you learn something
> > > new and cool, no matter how small you think it is, write it up!
> > > The Linux world is composed of zillions of tiny little things
> > > working together to make big things. It all matters.
> >
> > okay, this is great.  but, what kind of stuff?  debian-specific
> > stuff?  linux stuff?  one of the issues i always have with groups
> > like this (as MUCH as i love them, as MUCH as they're desperately
> > needed!) is that they can easily turn into little girls-only LUGs
> > with lots of emoticons and equivocating -- and i don't feel, from
> > reading the archives of this list, that that was the purpose of
> > founding debian-women.  (please correct me if i'm wrong.)
>
> No, that is definitely not the purpose. While I believe debian-women
> can be a great support foundation and people will most certainly
> form bonds, the idea is to get more women involved in Debian,
> whether they lean towards development, translations, documentation,
> or QA work.

great.  just making sure.

> > i'm totally down with all the other content on this site, and i'll
> > go sign up for an account now and get involved.  i think this is a
> > great project.  but as someone else recently mentioned (erinn? in
> > the initial list of what should go on the website?), we don't
> > need/want to duplicate stuff that's already on debian-user.
>
> Well, while I recognize this concern, one thing that is potentially
> beneficial to us (as well as the Debian Project at large) is
> tweaking some of the stuff they have. We have many potential DD's on
> this list, I think, but they have to start somewhere. One way to get
> people motivated is with just normal Debian stuff - many things are
> overlooked in the quest to become a Big Bad Package Maintainer. For
> instance, there are about 3000 missing man pages in Debian. Do a lot
> of people know this? Probably not. Is this an area that needs help?
> Certainly. My point is that there is a need for some basic guides to
> these things -- if someone from Debian women writes them, and they
> prove useful, at some point they can be integrated with the main
> Debian infrastructure. IMO, this is a win-win situation -- people
> gain experience while contributing to Debian and they do it in a
> sub-community they're comfortable with.

totally.  i'm all for this (i had no idea that there are 3000 missing
man pages!), and i'll probably end up getting more involved through
it.  this all sounds great, erinn.

> This goes for things like the NM process, submitting bugs / patches,
> ad infinitum. A lot of things are obscured and it can take quite a
> long time to really figure out the Debian infrastructure.

ain't that the truth.

thanks for your responses, all.  glad i haven't mis-construed the
purpose of the list, and that we seem to be hammering out a rockin'
vision.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++