Re: help wanted! get involved! make Debian-women work!

[tried to send this this morning, but it was Cc: debian-women -- does
this not allow ccs to it?]

on Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:54:41AM -0700, Carla Schroder insinuated:
> Technical stuff:
>  - Scripts, howtos, cool commands- anytime you learn something new
> and cool, no matter how small you think it is, write it up! The
> Linux world is composed of zillions of tiny little things working
> together to make big things. It all matters.

okay, this is great.  but, what kind of stuff?  debian-specific stuff?
linux stuff?  one of the issues i always have with groups like this
(as MUCH as i love them, as MUCH as they're desperately needed!) is
that they can easily turn into little girls-only LUGs with lots of
emoticons and equivocating -- and i don't feel, from reading the
archives of this list, that that was the purpose of founding
debian-women.  (please correct me if i'm wrong.)

i'm totally down with all the other content on this site, and i'll go
sign up for an account now and get involved.  i think this is a great
project.  but as someone else recently mentioned (erinn? in the
initial list of what should go on the website?), we don't need/want to
duplicate stuff that's already on debian-user.

maybe i'm missing your objective here, carla -- did you mean stuff
that we've written, or that is somehow woman-specific?

i hope this message conveys the tone i want it to -- not antagonistic,
just trying to keep us on-message.  i'm not criticizing, just pointing
out directions that i've seen women's users' groups go in that i
personally feel are unproductive.  i'd love for someone who's been
around the women's lug community for longer than i have to correct me,
or provide a more nuanced point of view ...

rock on, women,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++