I also have a tech prob...reply to me off-list...

I just updated a whole bunch of files on my ThinkPad 600e and
basically borked the very tenuous kludge that got sound working on
here without resorting to 4Front's proprietary version of OSS which
had worked in the past.

I am running kernel 2.6.9-2 from Sid. I have a mixed Sarge/Sid
installation. I want to make ALSA work. I don't want to have to go
back to the 4Front guys and pay them money for an enterprise I
disagree completely with.

My ThinkPad is a 600e with a 400MHz processor and 228MB of RAM. I have
a 40GB  Toshiba hard drive and a Panasonic slot-loading Combo Drive.

I love my little ThinkPad...it is a faithful companion and a great
machine. If my memory serves me right, Alan Cox had one of these, and
I believe there are other Linux "superstars" who have ThinkPads.
ThinkPads, at least until recently, were the best laptops for Linux. I
don't know what's going to happen now that IBM has sold their Personal
Systems Division to Lenovo, but up until that point their laptops were
the gold standard for x86 arch. Spoken like a fangirl? You bet.

Anyway, happy new year to all. Like I said, if you have answers, email
me off-list.

Take care,
Michelle
--
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation. Now in several luscious CPU flavors!