Re: No goals, selective memory, be nice, red nose day

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 12:51:51AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> >4. But you still want people to be nice to you, and treat you well,
> >and
> >accept you as a member of the community. Which you are very clear you
> >disapprove of, and do not support

> Well, even if so, why not? This list claims friendliness and
> intolerance of bigotry, yet it's ferpectly pine for anyone not
> praising debian-women to be attacked by listers with flames, abuse,
> public IRC logs or conspiracies of silence. Such behaviour will get no
> rebukes here.

Rather sounds like you're describing debian-devel, actually.  Curious
that a project set up partly in reaction to the xenophobia and rudeness
found on some Debian mailing lists should have so quickly managed to
attract people who so elegantly mirror its flaws, and then even gives
them the same apparent degree of free reign.

Yet somehow I don't imagine that you're likely to accuse Debian of
existing for the sole purpose of abusing Gentoo users in spite of this
similarity.

> The idea of parts of the debian project being closed to a particular
> sex or race is offensive to me, yet some debian-women participants
> support similar moves in other projects or call things like linuxchix
> "a great community". The solution to running into a wall is to knock
> it down, not build your own!

It's one thing to be offended by closing parts of Debian on the basis of
gender, and quite another to be offended that anyone should have an
organization that's gender-specific.  Why, exactly, does linuxchix
bother you?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer