Re: Recruiting volunteers - or, why should I become a DD?

umm, to put it basically, you dont have to be a DD to maintain a package, but if you do maintain a package, being a DD makes it easier. being a DD also entails that you're trusted with the security of every machine that runs debian, so it has to be a relativey complete process, as the trustworthyness of debian is dependent on the trustworthyness of DDs.

I think i need to reiterate, if you want to contribute to debian, you dont need to be a DD. I maintain (not amzingly well ;-) ) libgnomeprint and libgnomeprintui, and started before i even had a signed GPG key. I have applied to be a DD as i have to ask other people to upload my packages (and build them, and check my changes) and I'd prefer to be able to gain the trust to do this myself. Thats about it. I guess it'd also be nice to know if my knowledge is up to scratch and i look forward to learning what i need to learn, if i need to learn anything =)

I hope that makes things a little clearer. I think some of the confusion around the NM process comes from people thinking that it taking a long time means that its lots of work. In reality if you know your stuff it should be very little work, and really you should learn your stuff by doing some packaging *before* entering NM. I *do* think that theres a lot of scope for providing spaces where pre-NM (/during-NM) work can be done - alioth has helped a lot with this, and gnome-team is a great example (for example I started off the packaging of gtk-2.4  completely unknown on the basis of a couple of emails to gtk-gnome-devel). I'd hope that the debian-women aloth project can be used to help women learn the ropes, so to speak. (no i dont think that would be discriminatory - after all the gnome-team repository is only used for gnome packages ...)

Rob Taylor