Bug#319419: ITP: doomsday - greatly improved engine to play doom, doom2, heretic and hexen
License: GPL (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/deng)
About The Doomsday Engine
The Doomsday Engine is an enhanced and extended version of DOOM,
Heretic, and Hexen. It was originally based on the Hexen source code but
parts of it have later been completely rewritten. Doomsday is only an
engine; you will need a Game DLL if you want to play anything. Three
such DLLs are being developed alongside the engine: jDoom, jHeretic and
* Runs in Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
* Supports OpenGL and Direct3D for crisp, hardware accelerated
* 3D models (Quake's MD2 format) can be used instead of sprites.
* Object and camera movement smoothing.
* Simple shadows for objects.
* Dynamic light effects and lens flares.
* Particle effects.
* 3D sound effects with DirectSound3D and EAX 2.0 or A3D 3.0. Also
supports EAX's and A3D's environmental sound effects.
* High-resolution textures (PNG, TGA, PCX) and detail textures.
* 16-player client/server networking via TCP/IP, IPX, modem and
* Easy to use Control Panel for configuration, accessed quickly
* Console for modifying settings and giving commands.
* Utilizes FMOD to play a wide variety of music files, for example
MP3, MOD and IT.
* Uses plain text definition files for some game data such as thing
types and states, sound and music information, level configuration (sky,
fog, gravity) and text strings.
Additional to that engine the new free high resolution textures and high
quality music is a must have (http://www.doomsdayhq.com/files.php?class=4)!