Re: winetricks_0.0+20210206-3_both.changes REJECTED

Hi Thorsten,

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:05:39 +0100, Thorsten Alteholz <debian@alteholz.de>
wrote:
> On 08.01.22 06:23, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> > Quoting Thorsten Alteholz (2022-01-08 02:00:08)
> >> according to some comments in the shell script: Winetricks is a package
> >> manager for Win32 dlls and applications on POSIX.
> >>
> >> Can I build such Win32 dlls with tools available in Debian main?
> >> Can I build the Win32 applications with tools available in Debian main?
> >>
> >> I think the answer to both questions is "no", so the main purpose of
> >> winetricks is to download something that can not be part of Debian main
> >> and such the package belongs to contrib.
> > then what is src:gcc-mingw-w64 for if not to build win32 libraries and
> > executables?
>
> I didn't want to claim that it is not possible to cross build stuff for
> Windows.
>
> > What would you like me to show that can be done exactly?
>
> I question that the DLLs/applications that winetricks downloads can be
> built with stuff that is already in Debian main or at least could be added.
> There are lots of functions load_*() available. So first I would like to
> know how I can create my own versions of amstream.dll, art2kmin.exe or
> atmlib.dll.
> Maybe also choose a typical application, tell me how to build that exe
> and I will see whether a diff shows no differences between the
> downloaded and the built version.

Most of the files downloadable through winetricks are proprietary. There are
a few that could be rebuilt using tools in Debian (glut, ogg, for example),
but that’s not really the point, is it?

There was a discussion around all this last April, see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2021/04/msg00029.html. There are a
number of packages which do similar things, and it would be useful to have
FTP Masters’ decree on the matter, so we can make things consistent. For
example, game-data-packager is in contrib, lgogdownloader and minigalaxy are
in main, winetricks is in main, lutris is in contrib...

Regards,

Stephen