Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:54:56 +0300, Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 07:03:54PM +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> > >
> > > Adding a new release architecture (partial or not) requires convincing
> > > the ftp team and the release team.
> > >
> > > It would also require many software changes.
> >
> > Yes, it would. However, it requires convincing a well-defined set of
> > people *once*. If we handle Windows dependencies using “Architecture:
> > all” packages, we would either end up with something like Fedora’s
> > MinGW-w64 SIG (with a complete set of independent packages), or we would
> > end up having to convince a huge set of package maintainers over and over
> > again.
>
> Based on the package list provided in the initial email in this thread
> (and guessing the amount of transitive dependencies) I would have guessed
> that there are perhaps ~ 30 packages that would have to be touched once.

... which means ~30 maintainers who need convincing individually. My
experience so far is that maintainers tend not to be interested (justifiably)
in Windows cross-builds.

> And after that things will just continue working, just like with udebs
> which are in some ways similar to what is being discussed here.

udebs are mostly a packaging concern. Keeping Windows cross-builds working
tends to require a bit more effort unfortunately.

> > > How would for example the dependencies of wine:amd64 be fulfilled?
> > >
> > > Just supporting that package dependencies might only be fulfilled by
> > > also using packages from a different architecture would require changes
> > > in many places, like for example the testing migration scripts that
> > > ensure installability after migration.
> >
> > In the same way as the none-arch packages would be. Yes, it’s a lot of
> > work, but it’s useful for more than just Wine, and it can be done once
> > for all the interested architectures.
>
> It is also the kind of change where it might be required that it is
> fully supported in one release before it can be used by packages in the
> next release, if for example any of dpkg/apt/aptitude/... in the
> previous stable gives an error when seeing dependencies to another
> architecture.

That is indeed a good point, thanks for bringing it up!

Regards,

Stephen