[pkg-wine-party] winetricks 64-bit was: Call for testing: automatically detect wine arch and WoW64

On 12/11/2015 11:22 PM, Austin English wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Jens Reyer <jre.winesim@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However winetricks seems not to work quite good with WoW64, but I
>> already heard that before from other distros.
>
> What issues are you seeing? I'm not aware of any outstanding 64-bit
> issues..a lot of installers don't work on 64-bit wine which means
> there's no 64-bit .Net support in winetricks, but that's a Wine bug.
> Not all verbs override 64bit dlls, either because they don't exist or
> support hasn't been added. No one has reported any bugs for that
> though, so I'm not in a rush to do so.

Hi Austin,

sorry for delaying my answer.

Winetricks was telling me very prominently:
"You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please
retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug."

And in the source:
# Winetricks is a package manager for win32 dlls and applications on posix.

-> These two give the impression that winetricks is not (very good) for
win64. Besides that I only experienced the .Net issue.

Previously I had thought that you can install any 32-bit app in a 64-bit
WoW64 prefix. Since this isn't true generally, of course winetricks
can't do better.

However I still wonder: is it possible to install e.g. 32-bit
.Net to be used by 32-bit apps in a 64-bit prefix?

> If you have reproducible issues or feature requests, please report
> them to https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/issues

I'm not sure ;) If it's not an obvious technical misunderstanding on my
side I might ask above question there.

Greets
jre