executable extensions

Hello,

For some time i'm trying to rebuild debian packages for use with FreeDOS
(using DJGPP as the compiler), and I feel quite like John regarding the
.exe suffix appended by the compiler. (i modified stubify not to add
the suffix, and it works a bit more, now)

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:34:21PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 15:09, ${john}$ wrote:
> > The .exe suffix screws things up. A lot of packages identify the target
> > as Cygwin, and your executables then get that extension.

In my case, configure scripts run a test and find out that a.exe is the
default output, then deduce that a .exe suffix should be appended.

Tweaking the toolchain not to output .exe files has been enough for me.
(no need to play with config.guess).

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 07:18:56PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> Up to you. Follow the lead or not. It's your time. I don't have the
> energy or time to debate it.

It seems like we're going the wrong way. But could you please point us
to some list archives or anything where this is debated, so we can grasp
the thing ?

--
Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org>