Re: Newbie question

 --- Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org> schrieb: > On Wed, Feb
12, 2003 at 07:18:40PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> > Mark Paulus wrote:
>
> > >I guess that's a question for the group.  Does cygwin present
> > >enough of an extension to Microsoft windows that is could be
> > >considered and independant "flavour" of a kernel, and thus
> > >require another kernel-type indicator?
>
> > Identifying by C runtime I think would be most beneficial, -cygwin
> or
> > -msvcrt.
>
> First, I must say that i'm not really aware of windows things, and
> have
> never used mingw32 or cygwin. However i'm facing the same sort of
> problem since i'm slowly trying to get debian packages compiled for
> DOS
> with DJGPP...
>
> I don't really get what you mean by "C runtime" (libc ?). However i
> don't think it is appropriate (at least it doesn't follow what
> already
> exist.) Think of hurd-i386 or (free|net)bsd-i386.
>
> One point is that everything that could coexist on a system should be
> the same debian architecture. Imagine a system with a windows kernel
> (windows, but maybe wine? reactos?). One may be able to install
> binaries
> compiled with mingw32 as well as cygwin, which could co-exist.

yes, all of these things are part of the runtime environment.
Let's say, they are not the architecture, but for debian they are.
in fact, i think the architure model is too simple.
I install my mingw packages under debian i386, and run them with wine.
i386 is the architecture.

> Another point is that the libc's used by these things are doing much
> give a UNIX-like API to windows. This will make programs built with
> them
> badly coexist with "native" windows programs (i'm thinking of
> pathnames
> and such things...). Maybe it's bad enough not to use w32-i386, maybe
> not...
so that is one issue, but not a killer problem.

> So win32 is not enough, and cygwin is too much ;) For my case, dos is
> not enough, djgpp is too much. Can someone think of a word that would
> reflect the situation ?

Three concepts, not one
1. runtime
2. operating system