Re: Newbie question

Are there plans to port apt so that it can be used? Just having dpkg is good but the real power I have found with debian is the ability to dynamically deploy and get packages from across the internet.
Thanks,

Tim Heath

James Michael DuPont wrote:

--- Tim Heath <wgheath@fedex.com> wrote:
I want to know if apt has been ported to cygwin and if someone can actually create a .deb file deploy it to a web server and have it install with apt-get install <package name> in cygwin.

As far as I know, APT is not compiled, but dpk is. I have had problems
with dpkg because of the setroot. It is good for unpacking things, but
not installing them.
I tried to
find an answer to this by looking at the documentation but could not find it.
Yeah, apt is a higher level, it has more dependancies than dpkg.

I am on linux and don't have administrative access on my other
windows boxes to try to test this to answer my own question.
You dont need admin access to install dpkg, just install cygwin, that
does not need admin (i dont think).

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont