Re: Usage of dpkg under cygwin

--- Robert Collins <robert.collins@syncretize.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 16:15, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> >
> > --- Paul Baker <pbaker@where2getit.com> wrote:

> > > why not just use sudo?
> > >

> > Does sudo not use a daemon as well as fakeroot?  I will post my
> > question to the cygwin  list. But maybe the easier is do to the
> passwd
> > trick as well.
>
> The *real* solution is to fix dpkg. Checking for being root is a
> broken
> test. Checking if the current user has the appropriate access is a
> more
> flexible and portable test.

dpkg does not use the fakeroot directly,
it is used by dh_testroot which is called by the debian/rules.
As far as I can tell from my limited knowledge,
this whole thing has very little influence over the cygwin system.

OK, I am really over my head here.

First of all :
I all want is to have a debian packages that I can compile under the
cross compiler at home under debian for windows be able to install and
recompile under cygwin.

The target is also cygwin, not another platform at this time.
That means the uid is Adminstrator(500) if you dont change anything.

I have never had to worry about uids under cygwin, just installed it
from the installer, and then make installed the new packages i needed.

In fact, all the installed files are owned by me, the Administrator of
my machine.

now : in the cygwin information :
http://cygwin.com/setup.html says :
>>If you are not creating your package from an installed virtual root,
>>be sure to check that the file permissions are appropriate.

Here : in the perl build information :
http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/README.cygwin.html#Cygwin-Configuration
   >>The Cygwin chroot() implementation has holes (it can not
   >>restrict file access by native Win32 programs).

So there are some issues here that I dont fully understand.
I will be posting this is a question to the cygwin mailling list.
mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/