Re: Usage of dpkg under cygwin

It seems that mark paulus has done this work already,
or was writing about it. Maybe he can share what he has found out about
fakeroot?

mike

--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 01:58:28AM -0700, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > Well I have not seen that the cygwin security is really implemented
> > correctly. I can just edit roots files as a normal user. I have not
> > read up on it, yet, but i will read up on it.
>
> Well I certainly can't edit roots files if I ssh in as a different
> user,
> at least not the way the machine this applies to is setup.
>
> At least on NTFS on win2k it seems to work, or at least it can be
> setup
> to work.

Yes, it can be setup to work. But cygwin security is not setup by
default. In fact to get the security running correctly is a very
painfull experience.  (Just look at the sshd faq/mailling list for
proof of that)

I am at work, and just remembered that cygwin by default maps everyone
onto root

> > Ok, I give in. I was just cutting corners....
> > I will get fake root running under cygwin.

And I should have not just said to comment out dh_testroot.
But I will have the do that to get the fakeroot to compile from within
dpkg!

Also we need to look at the debian standard for where the automake
shares are located.

in order to compile fakeroot :
1. I had to link in the automake to the right place. I guess they are
there according to the debian policy?

    mkdir /usr/share/misc/
    ln -s /usr/autotool/devel/share/automake\
-1.6/config.sub /usr/share/misc/config.sub
    ln -s /usr/autotool/devel/share/automake\
-1.6/config.guess /usr/share/misc/config.guess

2. you will have to install the cygipc to get  :
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/
The version I am using  is : cygipc-1.11-1-src.tar.bz2
the headers for sys/ipc.h and sys/msg.h
The webpage says that it will be replaced, but I dont know where to get
the code they are talking about.

3. You will have to add the LDFLAGS= -lcygipc
I added them Makefile.am
lib_LTLIBRARIES=libfakeroot.la libcygipc.la

4. it compiles all right, with a small change to the main routine to
typecase the buf into a msgbuf.
    r=msgrcv(
	     msg_get,
	     (msgbuf*)&buf,
	     sizeof(fake_msg),
	     0,
	     0);

5. But it is not running,
$ faked.exe --debug
using 215894811 as msg key
fakeroot, while creating message channels: Invalid argument
fakeroot: clearing up message queues and semaphores, signal=-1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Anyway, please believe me that I intend on upholding the high debian
standards. If you notice anything else I might be doing wrong, just
tell me.

Best regards,

mike

=====