Re: Call for direction in the packaging of windows packages inside of debian and the running under wine.

On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 06:09 PM, Hans-Georg Bork wrote:

Hi James,

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 01:45, James Michael DuPont wrote:
[...]
Now, I would like to install these and run them under wine, and also
manage the dependancies between them using dpkg. Do I have to rename
the package from eg : gettext to gettext-mingw32? Or use some
dpkg-divert mechanism? Currently I am attempting a rename.

in case nobody answered: the naming should follow thr rules for
deb-packages, where the architecture is shown on the end, e.g.
gettext_0.10.40-5_win32.deb

just a thought, but should we be qualifying an architecture in addition to the win32? ex. gettext_0.10.40-5_win32-i386.deb. I say this because you can installed NT 4.0 on mips, alpha, and powerpc in addition to i386. So wouldn't that mean that debs would need to be compiled on these other architectures for win32? I doubt that anyone would ever do this, but shouldn't we account for the possibility?

--
Paul Baker

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
         -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc