Cygwin <-> Debian team

Dear all,

Thank you all for your answers and comments.

It seems now clear to me that we should not fork a separate .deb installer for
Cygwin.dll. The community of maintainers is too small for creating forks or
having another Gnome/KDE dispute.

I know it was already your idea to reuse Cygwin installer. Sorry for bringing
some confusion. As I found very little information about the project, I am
going to express its goals to see if I understand things :

1) W32 Debian community focusses on porting dpkg to Cygwin. dpkg should be
released as a Cygwin package. Then, we can start building our first dpkg
packages and release them.

2) Cygwin community focusses on developping the best graphical installer and
plans to give access to deb/rpm worlds. We may need to assist Cygwin team in
order to make their graphical installer aware of dpkg packages.

3) It should be nice if Cygwin installer could be used in order to install
native Windows packages. This is the key to success. Maybe I should look at
existing open-source installers and see in what extent they could be
integrated into Cygwin setup.exe.

I now need more time to read Cygwin installer source code. So I won't bother
you any longer with my emails...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE