RE: [Dev-C++] Compiling cygwin

Setup is command line capable now. There are few command line options,
because for some reason, as soon as the capability got added, the
interest dropped!

> 2) Is there a Cygwin setup.exe to-do list? I could not find
> it on Cygwin web
> site? I would like to know what Cygwin installer lacks v.s.
> rpm or dpkg.

It's in the README file in CVS. You can access that through cvsweb on
sources.redhat.com.

> For example : does setup.exe support uninstall?

Yes.

> is it possible to run
> post-install scripts?

Yes.

>  does it support version dependencies? etc...

No.

> 3) Setup.exe is in the middle of nowhere between a Windows
> installer (lacking
> GUI features) and a Linux super-installer (lacking rpm and
> dpkg deatures). It
> is non-standard. In the short run, it should be replaced.

That is the debate. No one has ported to a sufficient standard a GUI
version of rpm or dpkg to mingw as a single exe at this point.
Bootstrapping is the key.

> 4) Look at KDE or Gnome under RPM or DEB. Packages are much
> more "granular',
> standard than their Cygwin counterparts and thus can be
> easily upgraded.

That is a matter of policy and pragmatism. Look at the volunteer base
for cygwin, it's much smaller than typical un*x based open source
groups. I'm not sure how many subscribers cygwin-apps has, but there are
only about (from memory) less than 20 package maintainers, maintaining
166 different packages. Cygwin is slowly making the packages more
granular as more folk contribute. The windows culture seems to be
somewhat more 'user' based than that of the un*x environments. For
example, I maintain libxslt, libxml2 and squid for cygwin. I've no
interest in splitting these into separate -lib -dev and 'tools'
packages, at least not until I can use debuild or something similar to
automate the process.

> 5) In Linux, development libraries are usually available
> under seperate
> packages. Is there a notion of library-dev package in Cygwin?

Yes, just have a package libfoo-dev. Make it depend on the libfoo
package.

Rob