Re: Debian GNU/Win32

I think this project is the most powerful Linux advocacy tool I've
heard of.

The people I know use windows, their computer use doesn't involve
ideals, just trying to accomplish a few tasks.

It would make no sense to expect them to switch to Linux.

I would like to install cygwin and introduce them to the wonders
of Debian, apt, and the free software community.

I think a lot of people are hearing about Linux and would like
to check it out. That's what's interesting to me, not preaching
to the choir.

Those who currently use Linux are technologically wealthy and
can take care of themselves, it's the disadvantaged who need
our help. They are the vast majority.

Claims that Linux, free software, open source ... must be 'pure'
just line Bill Gates' pockets as far as I can see.

I hope this project gains some momentum.

Thanks,
Kent

 -- Kent Tenney,
kent@springfed.com on 11/09/2001

On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 07:21:51 -0700, Mark Paulus wrote: I have opened
up a project on sourceforge under the heading of debian-cygwin.  It's
a partial win32 project, and a partial un*x project, as my underlying
premise was to use the debian package management system and tools to
help enhance the cygwin environment.  As such, it would rely on the
cygwin environment for it's support, and much of it's "un*xness".
There was a discussion on debian-devel about this, and it received
much flak, but I was thinking that I would go ahead with it anyway.
Simply because I use cygwin, and I know there are others who do, and
while Window's isn't free and all that jazz, I believe many others
can and will benefit from a debian approach to package management for
cygwin.

That said, I haven't had much time to work on it lately.  I was
building apt under cygwin, and ran into a glitch with using .dlls for
apt-get.  It seems like the w32 binary didn't want to do proper C++
static member function initializations from within the ..dll, and
this caused the exe to bomb.  Then work heated up, and I haven't been
able to get back to it for a while.

I have also attempted to set up the beginnings of a debian package
archive on sourceforge, but once again, I need to do some research on
the fundamentals of setting up a package archive, and that takes time
to do research (which is in short supply right now....)

Would love to have any and all help, and glad to have all aboard who
would like to contribute, and can live with the fact that there might
be "active" resistance to this project, and limitations that will
need to be creatively circumvented.....

listmaster@lists.debian.org