Re: dpkg available

"Mark Paulus" <mpaulus78@earthlink.net> writes:

> See, I told you I would forget something important....    Ignore the
> dpkg-source.  Just copy off the dpkg.exe and dpkg-deb.exe....
>
> As far as root, there are several options, depending upon your machine
> architecture.  On my winxp and/or Win2K machines, I actually manipulated
> my administrator accounts in /etc/passwd & /etc/group to make them respond as
> root, and then I telnet back to my box, and login as root.  On my Win98/ME
> box, I mangled my default account in /etc/passwd and /etc/group so that my
> normal account was always identified as root.  You have to create a /home/root
> account, but I chose to soft-link /home/root to it's "parent" account (administrator,
> default account).
>
> I wish I could help more, but I understand it enough to get my machine to accept/work
> with it, but probably not enough to write a definitive guide.
Should be useful... at least for me !

I tried, but failed to be root. (I am on Win2K).

Do I need to create a root user in Win2K ? Or just defining it in
/etc/passwd & /etc/group is enough ?

I create a /home/root.
In /etc/passwd I copy he line defining Administrator, and just
replace the first field by root, and the home location.
Same thing in /etc/group, using the group Administrators as reference.

I re-log under bash using the 'login' command, user root and - of
course - the Administrator password, and :

$ dpkg -i dpkg_1.9.18_w32.deb
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

:-(

--
Julien Gilles