Backporting tomcat7 for Debian squeeze

I am creating deb installation packages for our software, which has a
dependency on tomcat7. Unfortunately, this package is not present in
Debian squeeze, which ships only with the package tomcat6.

The upcoming release of Debian 7 (Wheezy) ships with both Tomcat 6 and
7 [1]. Does that mean I can take the source package from Wheezy,
rebuild it for Squeeze and put it in our custom repository along with
builds of our own software? Or will this be likely to result in
conflicts on Squeeze systems somehow?

There are instructions on several places how to backport tomcat [2],
however what worries me is that Tomcat 7 is not part of the official
Debian 6 backports project. I don't want to mess up the systems of any
of our users. For example if they try to install our software on a
system that already has tomcat6 installed, which I think conflicts
with tomcat7. In that case it should resolve this gracefully in the
same manner as would happen on Wheezy or Ubuntu.

  [1]: http://packages.debian.org/testing/java/
  [2]: http://lumux.co.uk/2012/02/10/back-porting-tomcat-7-for-debian-6-squeeze/