Re: Re: Basic webapp packaging questions (specialized to w3c-markup-validator)

Thanks to the archive for this mailing list I have answered some questions. But I have a few more arriving out of my efforts at rebuilding w3c-markup-validator.

1.) Currently w3c-markup-validator depends on apache2 | httpd though as it is definitely a CGI script I think this should be apache2 | httpd-cgi.

2.) It claims to require SSI (mod_include) though I have a suspicion this might just be Debian cruft. If it did what would be the best way of handling it? Would the dependency have to be restricted to apache2?

3.) tntnet claims to be in the httpd-cgi virtual package but looking at the description that does not make sense to me.

4.) The current package has stuff relating to apache, apache-perl and apache-ssl. I reckon all of that is old Debian cruft. All of the translation effort was focussed on that.

5.) Quoting from the current package
"If you are using the Debian package of Apache, Apache2, Apache-SSL or
Apache-Perl, the installation process of this package can automatically
update the webserver's configuration (using the wwwconfig-common program)
so that the package works without requiring a manual change. If you are
using any other server, you will have to configure it manually."

Is it acceptable that manual changes should be required for non-apache or could wwwconfig-common be extended to cope ? I suppose that would require something to read the apache config fragments and convert it into the format used by the
installed server.

6.) wwwconfig-common does not seem to have much in the way of documentation.