Re: Let's work together!

hi romain,

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 18:32 +0200, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> For mediawiki, we are about to produce a package helping admin setting up
> multisite installation when the original software was not designed for it...

i don't know a lot about mediawiki, so i don't know the background about
why mediawiki would have trouble in a multi-instance  installation.

> Quickly, this is a perl script using fuse that allow mounting a mixed loopback
> filesystem where static files are differenciated for customizable files.
> Then, customizable files go to a given place, and you get a new mountpoint
> where you can point your webserver to, to get the new webapp.
> The cool part being that static files are updated when the main package is
> updated, and that all of this depends on standards system calls, so it feets
> any situation..

to be honest this sounds a little over-engineered.  is there any reason
you couldn't have something like:

<?php
switch("$INSTANCE_NAME"){
"host1.com":
	//settings
	break;
"host2.com/foobar/wiki":
	//different settings
	break;
default:
	//maybe default settings go here
	break;
}
?>

excuse my pseudo-php :)

> I would like to know if you have a policy for multi-site installation, this
> would be helpfull to get this to work correctly.

in our draft we don't really directly say things have to be a certain
way, because it's not very practical to require this given the wide
variety of applications, for some of which this being much more
difficult than others.

*however*, i have done a considerable amount of work on a (currently
unreleased but available in svn) automagic webapp configurator package
with problems such as multi-site configuration taken into mind, and i
wouldn't mind sharing my experiences if you're interested.

	sean