Re: cgi-bin, .html, .pl etc in URIs

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 11:00 +1000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> I totally agree URLs need to be sorted out.

Indeed.

> I propose the way Debian could achieve this is by leveraging the popular
> Virtual Hosting feature of Apache and a /web directory off root.
>
> The FHS:
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
> Suggests /srv but I don't think it will work.

What exactly convinces you that "/web" will work but "/srv/www" will
not? I think FHS-compliance is an important point for any distribution,
including Debian.

> So when a new webapp "example" is installed. It's specific URL is made
> up by populating:
>
> /web/example.myhost.com

I do not see how this solves the problem: using a webroot like this is a
good thing, but it doesn't have anything to do with web filename
extensions.

What we need to do is change the default Apache (and other webservers)
config so they accept URLs without extension by default, and run CGI
outside of cgi-bin. Packages providing HTML or scripts should make sure
they only link to other resources without the specific filename
extension.

Thijs