Re: Depend on mysql-client for lamp web application

Hello Uwe,

> I just wonder if my debian package for a lamp web application must
> depend on mysql-client. debian/(config|postinst|prerm) calls mysql to check
> whether the required database exists and creates resp. drops it. Doesn't
> that mean that mysql-client is a dependency even it the database server is
> locate on different computer? On the other hand, there is at least one web
> apps (phpgroupware) without a dependency on mysql-client.

You should depend on mysql-client if you use the 'mysql' command from your
scripts, like as you mention in the config/postinst/prerm scripts.

It's however not required for a LAMP-application to depend on mysql-client
though: if you interface with MySQL only through PHP, then you only need
to depend on the php4-mysql package.

Regards,
Thijs