modifying upstream files in Pear packages

Hi,

In order to correct a hard-coded path to another PHP program, I need to
modify an upstream file in my php-pager package.

The problem that I am encountering is that "pear install" fails its
md5sum check due to the modification that I have made. I suppose that I
could apply a patch after executing "pear install", but even then the
file's checksum would be incorrect (and I assume that that is one of the
things stored in .registry).

Any thoughts on how to handle this situation?

thanks,
Charles

--
For early