Re: Best practice for allowing access to a postgres db

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:36:08PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Uwe Steinmann dijo [Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 03:31:49PM +0200]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got another question concerning postgresql and best practice on
> > how create a database user for a web applications.
> > What I got is a php+postgresql web application. What I like
> > to do is creating a database and a database user with exclusive
> > rights for the database.
> > The default authentication method for users accessing postgresql
> > is 'ident, sameuser'. If I understand that propperly, then I need
> > a unix user named like the database.
> > Actually, I don't want to create a system user. What is the best
> > way to go? Modify pg_ident.conf or pg_hba.conf? Something else?
>
> IMHO it'd be more in place to search for a change in how pg_hba.conf
> is handled. Most databases will not be accessed via the matching Unix
> user. I think the 'ident,sameuser' is not very realistic, and probably
> a 'md5' would be more in place - And, yes, by default only for local
> and 127.0.0.1 connections.
That doesn't sound good and implies that many web applications based
on postgresql don't work after installation.
Has dbconfig-common a solution for it? I couldn't see any while
doing a quick look at the code.

  Uwe

--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe.Steinmann@mmk-hagen.de