Re: Status of ocaml-fdkaac

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 11:28:07AM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ocaml-fdkaac has stayed in state BD-Uninstallable since its upload two days
> ago. buildd.debian.org says it build-depends on missing libfdk-aac-dev
> (which is in non-free but available).
>
> Is there some subtlety I'm missing?

You have to upload binaries in this case.

The buildds never install packages from non-free as build dependencies,
there is no requirement for packages in non-free that their licences
permit using them for building other packages.

For ocaml-fdkaac specifically, someone should poke the ftp masters to
finally act on the #981285 upload of fdk-aac to main after over 1.5 years.
Both Fedora and the FSF consider it free, and we did have mp3 decoding
and encoding software in main already at the time when Fraunhofer still
had patents on mp3.

> Cheers,

cu
Adrian