Re: let me help you with progressing bikesheds

On 2018-03-07 07:50, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On 2018-03-06 23:27, Hector Oron wrote:
> I vaguely remember discussing some design with few involved people at
> DC15 to overhaul the whole Debian Build infrastructure. However
> nothing happened and we are still maintaining last century Perl
> spaguetti we inherited from those days, but it had nothing to do with
> bikesheds. If you are interested, I could share those ideas with you
> but I leave that for another reply or thread.
FWIW, I have rewritten the buildd side in Python
(https://salsa.debian.org/pkern/pybuildd) and am currently waiting for
that to be deployed. There were concerns about how DSA wanted this to be
packaged (essentially not at all). Replacing the buildd side with
something relatively simple to understand is somewhat a prerequisite to
change the wanna-build side...
The name is one letter off of a major tool used to build python packages in Debian (pybuild). Could you use a name that was more distinctive (maybe
buildd-py)?

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind and not upload it to Debian under that name. Right now it's unclear if it's even going to be deployed as a package, however.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern