Re: Supporting armel/armhf in wheezy-lts

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 05:16:19PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > The LTS period is about to start soon and we will send out an announce
> > soon... it would be nice to be able to say a word about armel/armhf, so
> > an official confirmation from ftpmasters/DSA would be nice.
>
> So, I'm a bit divided on all this.  While the DMUP is heavy artillery
> and we should be careful about invoking it, I think it crosses the line
> in «Don't use Debian Facilities for private financial gain or for
> commercial purposes, including consultancy or any other work outside the
> scope of official duties or functions for the time being, without
> specific authorization to do so.», so you need explicit authorization
> before you start.

I'm a bit surprised you bring this up now, when the question at hand is,
whether to add armel+armhf as new supported architectures to Wheezy LTS.

Because, also for doing Squeeze LTS for i386 and amd64, Debian machines
were used, with - I'd say - consens of the project that this is ok, IOW:
there was specific authorisation to do so.

There's another Debian project which is in a similar situation: official
Debian images for cloud services, made on Debian hardware. There's a
commercial purpose too.

(And then we get into the blurry area of all the consultants and
freelancers and employees working on paid time on Debian stuff using
Debian ressources…)

And while I think we absolutly should discuss these things (dc16?) and
probably revisited the DMUP (written how long ago?) this will all take
time and right now we have a somewhat pressing issue at hand:

Can we add armel/armhf to Wheezy LTS *now*? LTS starts in 3 days.

--
cheers,
	Holger