Re: schroeder and lebrun EOL - decomission

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:25:10AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 10/14/2015 11:20 AM, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > I didn't claim that, I just said the shipping cost range can be unreasonable.
> > In fact, I would say even 40-50 EUR is entirely unreasonable for a machine that
> > *maybe* costs that much now, and which is so battered that it will probably
> > cost 0 EUR by the time it's rebooted once again - when it finally fails due
> > to any one of its many ailments.
>
> Meh, it's still not that easy to get such hardware on eBay for that
> price, at least not in Europe. I would also still consider 50 Euros
> not to much for shipping.
>
> > You don't need the specific hardware, the only thing of value on it is the
> > software, and you can have DSA rsync everything from the old machines, which
> > also costs 0 EUR if we ignore man-hours :)
>
> Yeah, sure. But anyway, we will probably not need schroeder and lebrun
> anyway. However, if there are any useful hardware components in them
> that are hard to get by, it would still be great to keep them.

ISTR they're run-off-the-mill Fire V240s.

OTOH perhaps this is a simple indicator why the port has been dying - if it
takes a non-trivial amount of money to get a long-obsolete, over a decade
old machine, it's not going to attract a lot of people.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.