Re: coin3 testing migration

On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 20:40 +0200, Anton Gladky wrote:
> Dear wb-team and ftp-masters,

Neither of those teams are responsible for testing migration. As the
domain of the URL you quoted indicates, the release team are. I'm
copying debian-release on this reply; please direct further responses
there.

> I have a problem with the package coin3, which is hanging in unstable
> and cannot migrate to testing for a long time [1].
>
> The reason is so described:
> "Updating coin3 makes 2 depending packages uninstallable on i386:
> libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev"
>
> Can it be the problem in circular dependencies? Why is then it happens
> only on i386?

The problem isn't only on i386. As an optimisation, britney stops
checking at the first architecture where an installability problem
occurs; for various reasons, i386 is checked first.

Looking through the britney log, there's currently an automatic hint
being tried which attempts to migrate coin3 and pivy together. This
results in:

    * i386: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * amd64: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * armel: libsoqt4-dev
    * armhf: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * ia64: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * kfreebsd-amd64: libsoqt4-dev
    * kfreebsd-i386: libsoqt4-dev
    * mips: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * mipsel: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * powerpc: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * s390: libsoqt4-dev, libvisp-dev
    * s390x: libsoqt4-dev
    * sparc: libsoqt4-dev

which matches the output you quoted above.

If one checks the excuses for each of the affected source packages (via
the PTS, or running grep-excuses, or ...) we find that:

soqt (1.5.0-2 to 1.6.0~e8310f-1)
    Maintainer: Debian Science Maintainers
    Too young, only 7 of 10 days old
    Not considered
    Depends: soqt coin3

That's not so much of an issue, as it just means you need to be a little
more patient. More of a problem, however, is:

visp (2.7.0-2 to 2.8.0-2)
    Maintainer: Debian Science Maintainers
    Too young, only 8 of 10 days old
    out of date on armhf: libvisp-dev, libvisp-doc, libvisp2, libvisp2-dbg (from 2.7.0-4)
    out of date on ia64: libvisp-dev, libvisp-doc, libvisp2, libvisp2-dbg (from 2.7.0-4)
    out of date on powerpc: libvisp-dev, libvisp-doc, libvisp2, libvisp2-dbg (from 2.7.0-4)
    out of date on s390: libvisp-dev, libvisp-doc, libvisp2, libvisp2-dbg (from 2.7.0-4)
    visp (source) has new bugs!
    Updating visp introduces new bugs: #723803
    Not considered
    Depends: visp coin3
    Depends: visp libav (not considered)
    Depends: visp opencv (not considered)
    Depends: visp soqt (not considered)

Both libav and opencv have ongoing transitions in unstable. visp itself
is RC buggy due to its multiple FTBFS (#723803).

However, visp appears not to have any reverse-dependencies in testing,
so we could remove visp, age soqt a little and see what happens.

> [1 http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=coin3

Regards,

Adam