Re: Temporary solution for changelog problem in binNMUs

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 17:04:51 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> The real problem is that these changelog files are primarily intended
> for human beings.  They should live in /usr/share/doc, and their
> location should be transparent.

The fact that parts of it might be mostly consumable by human beings,
does not counter that fact that those files are still very structured
packaging metadata, and those really do not belong in /usr/share/doc.

For example changelogs, contain version and release dates, bug closures,
urgency and target distribution, uploader, etc. The same goes for machine
parseable copyright (although I'm not a proponent and I've not switched
any of my packages to it), can be consumed by humans, but a huge part
of it is also meant for programs.

And we already have stuff like Homepage or Description in the control
file.

> The right answer is the IMO the splitting as proposed by Ansgar.

I still strongly disagree and I've not seen yet any convincing argument,
and in any case we've already gone over all this in the past, several
times, and I think I've covered all points already:

 [0] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/07/msg00398.html>

 [1] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00314.html>
 [2] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00410.html>

For people joining now, please go read the threads surrounding the
links contained in [0], before proposing anything “new” or rehashing
old arguments.

Thanks,
Guillem