Re: Please gb fgrun against simgear-dev (2.0.0-4)

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 18:15 +0100, Christopher Baines wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 17:39 +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > There are indeed a few suspicious looking changes in -3 though:
> >
> > -    virtual void forceLoad(osgDB::DatabasePager* dbp);
> > +    virtual void forceLoad(osgDB::DatabasePager* dbp,
> > +                           osg::NodePath& path);
[...]
> The reason for the changes to simgear is the release teams transition of
> openscenegraph. The transition meant that if simgear could not build
> against the new version of openscenegraph (3), it and its dependants
> (flightgear, fgrun) would be removed from testing.

You're replying to a member of the release team.  I'm well aware of the
openscenegraph transition... :-)

> Simgear's maintainer, Ove, used the upstream source and backported the
> relevant changes to allow simgear to build against the version of
> openscenegraph entering testing.

Indeed.  And those changes look like they broke simgear's ABI.

> From the wikipedia description of ABI, I think openscenegraph broke its
> ABI when it moved to the new major version (3), thus breaking simgear.

We know for certain that openscenegraph broke ABI - that's why it
changed SONAME and is the whole point of the transition.  simgear, otoh,
appears to have silently broken its ABI, hence the crashes observed in
fgrun.  It that is the case, then simgear should also change its SONAME
and its reverse dependencies (including fgrun) should be rebuilt to use
the new SONAME.

Regards,

Adam