Re: breaking buildds with new version of sbuild?

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 11:13:09PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> It is of course ok if the new apt-resolver config only works after
> creating such keys.
>
> It is however simply not acceptable at all (and even not debatable)
> that existing working aptitude chroots stop working without any good
> reasons. I consider buildds a 24x7 service, which we shouldn't just
> disrupt because things could be done different.
>
> There would be various other ways: e.g. continue to use the existing
> aptitude config and setup-type till keys auto-generated by cron are
> there. Or various other ways I could imagine.

DSA veto'ed key generation in the postinst.  Yes, the cron bit could've worked.
TBH I logged into every buildd that was online and created the keys there.
Yes, I know it was a pain, but still I can understand the reason.

> I'm just wondering what else bugs are hidden there. I don't want to
> cope with the next instance of bugs - rather staying with the current
> software seems a good deal for me.
>
> I'm really short of giving up caring about buildds and wanna-build,
> because working setups are disrupted for no good reason - and it isn't
> even considered a problem. Sorry, but this isn't the way to operate
> the buildd service.

Sure, feel free to take over the maintainance of the buildd software.  As I
mentioned in the channel, if upgrades aren't appreciated I'll simply stop
caring and I know that noone else would step up.

And no, I don't break stuff "for fun".  I was also pissed off by this change
but I do understand the reason.  It's not pretty but meh, apt surely gives
a damn about usability here.

Cheers
Philipp Kern