Re: Sruthi's platform (was: Re: Question to candidates: new legal entity for Debian worldwide)

Joost van Baal-Ilić <joostvb-debian@mdcc.cx> wrote on 22/03/2024 at 09:54:35+0100:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 06:51:48AM +0100, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>> PS: I am eagerly awaiting a platform from
>> Sruthi Chandran . Up to now there still is the old one at
>> https://www.debian.org/vote/2021/platforms/srud .
>
> Oops: apparently I missed https://www.debian.org/vote/2024/platforms/srud .
> Sorry.

And thanks for opening the rig:

I have one question regarding Sruthi's platform.

In it, it is stated that: " I would like to revisit our relationship
with the existing trusted organisations, fund management procedure and
if needed, explore the possibilities of having more TOs to reduce
dependency on one or two. During DebConf23 organising, we had to face
numerous fund distribution issues. Some of it definitely was specific to
Indian scenario, but still I could think of a lot of improvement that
can be done with respect to fund distribution through TOs."

Being Debian France's treasurer since 2019 (dunno yet if treasurer will
be my main endeavour should I be reelected this year, but I'll
definitely continue to help as much as I can whatever my role becomes),
I have two issues:

 1. Many TOs create more liabilities: I have a certain memory of ffis
    eV, which disappeared with Debian assets. It's already hard to
    follow how things go under three TOs, so if we go to more, how do
    you expect to cope and avoid similar scenarii or worse?
 2. SPI is too centric in the TO ecosystem.

    After having spent two years in DF Treasurer, and more than 30 to
    50% of my Debian dedicated time attending to it, I learnt that a)
    SPI takes 5% of anything it receives for Debian (Debian France does
    not do that and will never do that) and b) it own 90% of Debian
    assets while it's very slow to process much things and is reluctant
    to rebalance these.

    What's "funny" is that this situation led DebConf organizers to ask
    us to become the spine of DebConf registration financial aspects, as
    it seems despite being alone (not anymore since the end of 2022, <3
    jipege) and not paid for it, I'm more reactive (and yet, some people
    could tell that sometimes I take far too much time, and I'd like to
    apologize for that) on these matters, and also keen on trying to
    find solutions when things go outside of the defined frame.

    So, what seems important to me is rather this aspect. How did we get
    here? What do we intent do to about it? Incorporating Debian is a
    fine idea to me, and I'd still be happy to manage Debian assets, but
    at some point, the dyfunctional aspect, to me, is rather the way SPI
    evolved and the relation that resulted from this evolution.

I'd like to hear both your feelings on this, and I'd really appreciate
to get Jonathan's insights on this, too, as he did the DPL job for a
long time and might have clues I don't have and failed to get from him
(bc he's busy) over IRC chat.

Thanks

--
PEB