Re: Question to candidates: new legal entity for Debian worldwide

Hi Joost,

Am Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 06:51:48AM +0100 schrieb Joost van Baal-Ilić:
> There has been discussion of having one new legal entity representing
> the Debian project worldwide.  What are the candidates opinions on that?

Could you please add some pointers to recent discussions about this.
I've found some 20 year old thread[1].

Our constitution says:
  SPI and Debian are separate organisations who share some goals.
  Debian is grateful for the legal support framework offered by SPI.

I've also found some discussion about the legal entity of DebConf
in past years[3].

My guess is you are not refering to any of those points.  Any pointers
to recent discussion are welcome.  I'm aware about the EU legislation
regarding Cyber Resilience Act, Product Liability Directive and CSAM
Regulation but I have no idea whether our answer should be becoming a
legal entity.

Its as always in Debian:  We are a Do-o-cracy.  The person who does the
job can decide what gets done.  Those who really strongly believe that a
legal entity is the answer to major problems in Debian might run this
effort, find consensus to run a GR changing the consitution - whatever
seems to be necessary.  If we do not find competent volunteers this will
not happen.

Personally I decided to become a physicst and not a lawyer since I
consider the laws of physics simple, easy to describe and perfectly able
to verify in practice.  This is all very distinct to the laws we have
given ourself in society and I'm no expert in the latter.  Thus I simply
feel not comfortable in giving statements about things I do not full
understand.

I personally see and (hopefully) understand lots of technical problems
which I would like to tackle.  Since the time I can dedicate to the job
is not unlimited I will decide to do things I feel competent and thus
more efficient.  I will not stop others solving additional problems and
if those people manage to convince me that it is important for Debian I
might support this.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/12/msg00647.html