Re: Call for vote: public statement about the EU Legislation "Cyber Resilience Act and Product Liability Directive"

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 at 10:37, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 02:19:38PM +0100, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> > Correct. And I agree with that effect:
>
> same here.
>
> > The *one* negative impact I can see of this legislation is impact on small
> > integrators that were used to being able to go to a
> > client company, install a bunch of Ubuntu Desktop workstations, set up a
> > Ubuntu Server for SMB and also to serve the website
> > of the company, take one-time fee for their work and be gone. Now it would
> > have to be made clear - who will be maintaining those
> > machines over time, ensuring they are patched with security updates in
> > time, upgraded to new OS releases when old ones are no
> > longer supported and so on.
>
> I don't see this a negative impact because this will in the long
> term hopefully prevent the effect which is similar to a small
> freelancer setting up a kitchen machine which will blow up
> after some time. And noone wants that, whether it's been a small
> or big company responsible for the exploding kitchen. And people
> buying kitchen machines have understood they want safe machinery
> in kitchens...

Just to be clear: I also do agree with the main intention of the
proposal, what I do not like is that the current draft wording might
backfire on us.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
https://perezmeyer.com.ar/