Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> I agree it doesn't make sense for either organization to change
> approach.  I do believe that what we are seeing in this vote, however,
> is that Debian _is_ changing tactics: rather than providing a 100% free
> Debian (guided by the DSC/DFSG) and using that as a tactic to change the
> world, Debian will (under A/E) provide a 99% free Debian.

Back in the days when I was involved in producing CD images, people used
to use them to make CDs (shocking, I know ;-) ).

As such, I have always thought of the installer images as being outside
Debian, since in order for them to be useful they needed to be
instantiated in a physical form that was encrusted with layer upon layer
of patent, trademark, licensing and other legal constraints regarding the
form of both the media and the devices used for reading the media.

Of course, in the mean time the physical representation has changed, but
still, SD cards are inherently non-free in many ways, even if the data
on them is purely free.

I'd suggest that there's always been a fuzzy tide-mark showing where you
should stop worrying too much about the freeness we can achieve.

Stretching that metaphor a little: making non-free firmware available
in the installer strikes me as equivalent to offering Wellington boots
to new arrivals at the beach, so that they can wade across the muddy
patch to get to the nice dry, sandy bit of beach where we play barefoot.

Cheers, Phil.