Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

I was asked offlist to answer how Proposal D would affect the display of
the non-free installer on Debian websites, and in particular:

 * Would it prevent the current presentation of the non-free installer?

tl;dr: No

 * Would it prevent the alternative presentation suggested in
   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/683a7c0e69b081aae8c46bd4027bf7537475624a.camel@debian.org
   ?

tl;dr: No

tl:

Proposal D by itself offers no explicit guidance on these questions.  D
is a NOTA choice to stand by our current foundation documents, allowing
developers to do what they want within those constraints and our usual
conflict resolution processes.

Thus my answer will be my interpretation of what our current policies
already says.  I'm sure others will have (hopefully only slightly)
different interpretations, and I also realize I'm junior when it comes
to these documents and their history and intended interpration.  I'll
try to provide my answer below.  If there is strong disagreement of my
interpretation, more discussion to clarify the situation may help.

The social contract says Debian [system] will always be 100% free.  I
include the installers in the system -- it could be argued that an
installer isn't part of the installed Debian system, but I don't think
that is a useful way of reasoning.  An operating system without any way
to install it is not a operating system, in my opinion, but rather an
academic work or piece of art.

The social contract says some people need non-free works and have
committed to supporting that.  It says that these works is not part of
the Debian system but that Debian still sponsor their existance for
hosting and bug trackers etc.  I don't think the intention was that
there would ever be a non-free installer originally, but there is
explicit acceptance towards non-free works in the Debian project
generally, and a non-free installer would be one example of that.

Now back to the questions.  First, I think the terms "hidden" and
"official" are not that helpful, so I will not use them, and given the
uncertainty about what they mean I suggest we use them less than we do
today.

I don't see any conflict with our social contract for the Debian project
to publish a non-free installer.  However the installer would not be
part of the Debian system, by implication, since that would violate
DSC§1.

The social contract allows the Debian project to publish non-free works
through non-free/contrib areas, so while probably not initially intended
to happen, interested folks could always upload a non-free Debian
installer to non-free and have that be published by Debian.  I don't see
how anyone could object to that, under our current policies.

Linking to the non-free installer from the Debian front page seems
acceptable (or at least not in direct conflict with the social
contract), but depending on how it is executed may be poor judgement and
would give a strange impression of what Debian is about.

To make sense for a user coming to Debian and wondering what we are
about and what we provide, I believe we need to provide a free installer
and that the distinction between the installers are described and
preferably that it is clear that while the non-free installer is not
part of the Debian system, it can be used to install the Debian system.

So with all these words, my belief is that publications of non-free
installers are already acceptable under the social contract as long as
they don't claim to be part of the Debian system, and that it isn't the
case that the non-free installer is the only installer available.

/Simon