Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On Fri, 2022-09-09 at 09:04 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> How about:
>
>     We encourage careful review of the licensing of these packages before
>     use or redistribution, since the guarantees of the Debian Free
>     Software Guidelines do not apply to them.

Would it be reasonable instead for text to enumerate which of the DSFG
freedoms installers etc distributed by Debian are permitted to
compromise on rather than just a blanket "allow non-DFSG-free"?

If we say that images distributed by Debian would be permitted to
compromise, for firmware only, on:

   2. Source Code
   3. Derived Works
   4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code

But would required them to adhere to, for everything (including
firmware):

   1. Free Redistribution
   5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
   6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
   7. Distribution of License
   8. License Must Not Be Specific to Debian
   9. License Must Not Contaminate Other Software

(I'm not quite sure I've put #4 in the right list)

This would, I think, allow anyone who received an installer from Debian
to continue to redistribute them just as today, plus it more precisely
limits the scope of exactly what we are willing to compromise on for
the purposes of allowing people to use Debian on their hardware.

Ian.