Re: General resolution: Condemn Russian invasion of the Ukraine

On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 10:19:27PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 01:35:14PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Debian does not exist, legally :-)

I'm repeating others, but I think it's important to repeat:

This may not be true.  At least in the US, existence is a matter of
fact.  Debian has members, bylaws, elections, common traditions, and
we're recognized by the free software and broader tech communities.  All
of this would be brought as evidence that Debian exists.

Debian isn't *incorporated* - but that's not the only way to exist.

> and that's a feature, not a bug.

I don't think so.  At least in the US, it probably leaves all members
wholly and severally liable for Debian.  So if there's a mixup and
someone doesn't pay a US-based company, they could attempt to recover
from any US-based member personally.

Unlikely - but I don't understand how that's a feature.

> the CCC e.V. association OTOH was formed as a legal entity to protect
> individuals.

This seems prudent.

It'd also provide some options for settling agreements with service
providers for e.g. cloud accounts.  We get along managing it via TOs,
but it's a perpetual source of confusion and delay.

Ross