Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Le Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 12:37:08PM +0200, Philip Hands a écrit :
> Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> > I agree it doesn't make sense for either organization to change
> > approach.  I do believe that what we are seeing in this vote, however,
> > is that Debian _is_ changing tactics: rather than providing a 100% free
> > Debian (guided by the DSC/DFSG) and using that as a tactic to change the
> > world, Debian will (under A/E) provide a 99% free Debian.
>
> Stretching that metaphor a little: making non-free firmware available
> in the installer strikes me as equivalent to offering Wellington boots
> to new arrivals at the beach, so that they can wade across the muddy
> patch to get to the nice dry, sandy bit of beach where we play barefoot.

Yes, but this is not the question at hand. Nobody is suggesting that the
non-free installer should not exist, but whether it should be considered
part of Debian or part of non-free.

Debian tradition of clearly seperating free and non-free should be
upholded.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.