Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On 13/09/22 at 14:49 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Right. I think that it's important to realize that the FSF and Debian
> > use different tactics to promote Free Software. The FSF focuses on
> > promoting a clean ideology to the point of ignoring practical problems.
> > The risk is becoming irrelevant, because very few people are able to live
> > with the compromises that are required by ignoring the practical issues.
> >
> > It's like the lighthouse joke: "the FSF is like a lighthouse. As a boat,
> > it's extremely useful to know where it stands, but you probably don't
> > want to be at the exact same position as the lighthouse."
> >
> > Debian, on the other hand, promotes a similar ideology, but allows
> > compromises, while being explicit about them. This is extremely powerful
> > because we demonstrate that we are able to produce something that is of
> > high quality and useful to our numerous users, and at the same time we
> > are in a great position to inform our users about the compromises that
> > were required to do so, and weight in to improve the long term
> > situation.
>
> I don't think that is a unbalanced comparison of the positions.  Debian
> and FSF makes _different_ compromises, and have _different_ red lines
> for what they consider unacceptable.
>
> To illustrate, Debian does not consider a work under the GFDL with an
> invariant section to be free, and (as far as I understand) would not
> permit them in main or in the Debian installer.  Disallowing
> modifications is quite similar to the terms for some non-free firmware.
>
> It is easy to criticize the FSF but may be harder to realize that most
> of the arguments can be applied to Debian as well.
>
> Both approaches are reasonable and valid positions to take.  I like that
> Debian takes a stand against invariant sections.  I like that the FSF
> takes a stand against the non-free section in Debian.  I think both are
> problematic, but I also accept that there are situations where they are
> an acceptable compromise given different guiding principles.  The
> positions share a lot of mutual ground but there are conflicting areas.

I'm not criticizing the FSF. I think it is extremely useful (like a
lighthouse). I truly appreciate their approach. I like
the intellectual challenge of confronting my own willingness to
compromise with the pure ideology they express.

However, I'm pointing out that Debian generally follows a different
tactic. And I don't think that it would be a good idea for Debian to
switch tactics.

Lucas