Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 11:38:09AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 10:39:57AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> >> Thereby re-inforcing the interpretation that any installer or image with
> >> non-free software on it is not part of the Debian system
> >
> > As you indicate yourself, this is an interpretation of the SC. I would
> > really prefer that such a question was not open to interpretation and
> > that the SC was changed to make it more clear what we mean.
> >
> > I don't actually understand what this part of your text is saying. Are
> > you saying that an image with non-free software on it is non-official
> > because it's not part of the Debian system? That is not something I read
> > in that text.
>
> I don't think the word "official" is defined or used in any foundational
> document, nor that its meaning is well agreed on or actually helps the
> discussion.  It seems easier to talk about what is considered part of
> the Debian system or not: the foundation documents imply (to me) that
> anything not following DFSG is not part of Debian.  Therefor, an
> installer that includes non-free content would not be part of Debian.
> That does not prevent the project from distributing it, we do that today
> and we distribute non-free/contrib today too without trouble.
>
> For me it helps to think that what the Debian project ships is a
> superset of what is considered to be the Debian system.

Policy on the other hand is very explicit (perhaps unintentionally):

> The Debian system is maintained and distributed as a collection of packages.
> The main archive area forms the Debian distribution.

By that definition, no installation media are part of the Debian system
and so are already permitted to use non-free components? Obviously
Policy is "lower" in interpretation value that Constitution or Social
Contract. It also has a note about "component", and I'd point out the
term "section" is often used too (see rewording of Proposal C).