Re: To all candidates: Debian and people with disabilities

Le 21/03/2022 à 00:07, Hideki Yamane a écrit :
Hi,

On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:09:24 -0500
Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> wrote:
* Have you heard of the Debian Accessibility group?

  Sorry, no.

  It means that there's an opportunity to people like me can know it more
  if the Debian Accessibility group could show their duties and activities :)

* Currently, Debian backports is how people with disabilities can get the
most up-to-date accessibility fixes and improvements while remaining on a
stable base system. For example, the newest version of the Orca screen
reader, with all of its fixes, and newest version of ATSPI, the thing that
makes Orca able to talk to applications. Would you be willing to
entertain the idea of moving those updates directly to Debian stable?

  Yes, as I said in my platform.

I dont think DPL can influence this, indeed. It si really a discussion with debian-release, and it is not fully trivial, because orca depends on at-spi and upgrading this can have some consequences on the accessibility. So it is not unfeasible, but not trivial

     Provide better Debian “Experience” for our contributors and users.

We are developing Debian a lot day by day, but it seems that won’t reach
most of our users. I’m not sure what is the better way to give more values
(providing easy access to testing/unstable in d-i? more updates to stable?),
but it’s wonderful if we can.

  We need some coordination to achieve this, but worth trying.

* How would you present Debian to a group of people with disabilities? What
reasons would you give them for why they should consider Debian?

  Honestly, I don't have enough information for that.

  It means that YOU people with disabilities need to show what's good/bad
  currently in Debian and what should be done in the future, then discuss
  with others. Something clear to you is sometimes not clear to me, please
  tell us :)

Difficult question indeed. Most information are on wiki.debian.org/accessibility.

* In many desktop environments, a user cannot use their assistive
technologies effectively unless they find and check a box enabling the use
of assistive technologies. Do you think that this is good and fair to users?

  Yes and No.
I'm Japanese and not good at English, so want to use Japanese in
  the desktop environment but I should choose Japanese in the installer
  that shows in English. It's fair since most people can recognize English
  more than Japanese. There is some limitation in the user interface and
  prefer majority is reasonable.
However, adding Accessibility software by default is not hard, IMHO.
  Installing Accessibility by default and setting "minimum desktop" checkbox
  for people who don't need it would be better (of course, it also needs
  some coordination to do so).
It had been proposed at debconf 2015 and, IIRC, done in most dekstops (enabled accessibility). But it does not warranty they will work as most of them are not ready technically without major tweaks in configuration, and it depends on toolkit. Again, not sur the DPL can have a crucial role about this, unfortunately. Perhaps, however, in order to give more visibility to the topic, he may ping them more frequently during his public statements (Debconf, bits, debian-news) so make them talk about their work progress.

Best regards