Re: Question to all candidates: registering Debian as an organization

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 09:41:49AM +0100, Christian Kastner wrote:
> Currently, the Project has no legal standing of its
> own, meaning that within any legal context, there is no Project.

Indeed, it is a great feature of Debian that it is not bound to any
particular juridiction, it only exists through consensus of its members.

> You can't donate to Debian, you donate to some other organization (SPI). The
> DPL can represent the Project only formally, as formally, it doesn't
> exist yet. The Project can't own hardware directly, or hold copyrights
> directly. It's all down to individuals.

> A common pattern to address this within the open source world is to
> create a non-profit legal entity, e.g. the FSF Foundation or the GNOME
> Foundation.

But a legal entity would be registered to some country (the US in the
above two cases) and would be bound to its juridiction.
What if the DPL is from some country under US sanction list like Cuba
used to ? What if we need the non-us archive back ?
(same, replacing US by the country of your choice) ?

If there was a single Debian foundation, Debian members would be split
between those that are in the juridiction of the foundation and those
that are not and the former would be inevitably advantaged.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.