Re: Secret Ballots: Handling Disagreement with the Secretary

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> So, to be specific, I propose to add a paragraph 8 to section 4.1
> (powers of the developers):

>     8. Override a decision of the secretary. Overriding the secretary's
>        determination of the majority required for a ballot option or
>        overriding the determination of the outcome of a vote requires that
>        the developers agree by a 3:1 majority. The secretary's
>        determination of whether a 3:1 majority is required to override
>        the project secretary is not itself subject to override.

> I'd appreciate comments on this proposal and on the general issue.
> Assuming the discussion resolves reasonably quickly, I propose to send
> out a new version of the secret ballot proposal including a fix to this
> issue in around a week.

The question this raises for me is who runs the vote to decide whether to
override the Project Secretary?  I would completely trust Kurt to run that
vote, but in the general case the Project Secretary running a vote on
whether to override the Project Secretary is a clear conflict of interest.

We could require that such a vote be done by public ballot regardless of
any secret ballot mechanism for other votes, which gives us some built-in
defense against any problems, but it still makes me a little bit leery to
set up a situation where someone is running a vote about overriding a
decision that they may feel strongly about.