Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> The math certainly helps.  We can easily see that even if we think that
> kind of strategic exploration is not an abuse, it clearly would be an
> abuse if some privileged category of people got to choose the ballot
> options.

The sensitivity of preference-based voting systems to strategic
influence would seem to be related to the number of active voters.  The
typical Debian GR has enough valid votes that this isn't something I've
ever actively worried about in the context of a GR.

I think it's a very different situation with small vote counts, like in
TC decisions.  That's one reason why as TC chair I always tried to keep
votes as "simple" as possible, attempting to avoid sets of choices that
conflated multiple issues.  Always thought it might be better to vote a
set of simple up/down questions than to try and combine them all into
some subset of a multi-dimensional matrix in one vote .. but I know
opinions on this differ.

Bdale