Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> If we look at the actual ballots, it's really interesting. Options 7
> and 8 were semantically pretty much equivalent. It's hard to see any
> reason for someone to rank them very differently.

7 was a decision to not issue a statement ["There's no statement on this
issue that I want Debian to issue"]. 8 was a decision for further
discussion ["There may be statement on this issue that I'd want Debian
to issue, but it's not here."]

When there isn't an explicit "no decision" option on the ballot, further
discussion encompass both, but that is not the case here.

> It's very difficult to imagine someone who actually preferred option 7
> being equally satisfied with any of options 1-6 and 8.

Here's an example thought process that works: "I want Debian to stop
discussing this issue and anything more that Debian does on this issue
is equally bad."

Or another one: "I know that I prefer this option, but I'm not
comfortable with the rest of the options to decide what the project
should do, so I'll defer to the project's judgement."

Not to say that there aren't voters who are confused, but you should
contact them to figure out why they voted the way they did before
assuming that they didn't know what they were doing.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it.
 -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi