Re: Making the RMS resolution a Secret Ballot

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 10:59:16AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I support this approach and believe the DPL should decide under 5.1(3)
> that Debian will not publish the association between identity and ballot
> for the RMS resolution.

I too support the mechanism to achieve it but not the permanence, without
consultation with the full project. We should be mindful that a change to
the foundation documents to make future votes secret would require a 3:1
majority, and I think it would look odd to outsiders that we've just
decided the rules don't apply to this vote.

Given the anticipated GR on future secret ballots and the ability for 2K
developers to override the DPL anyway, 90 days should be sufficient to
achieve a consensus.

So I suggest the DPL directs under s5.1 something like:

"The secretary shall delay publication of the the association between
identify and ballot on the tally sheet, for a period of not more than 90
days, unless directed otherwise by a General Resolution of the Developers."

A GR about future secret ballots should make provision for how to apply it
retrospectively to this one. This preserves the 3:1 requirement that there
would have been were it being decided in advance.

(I'm conscious about the extra work this creates for the secretary. Kurt, I
really appreciate how you're handling all this and I'm sorry to be asking
for more complexity.)

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51